The oversized coat has travelled the years and is still one piece you are allowed to bring back this season. You are then safe if you have not enjoyed enough your oversized coat you bought last Winter, rock it as much as you want during this cold season and all the way down to Spring if you like!
Big, bulky, sculptural, ridiculously oversized coats took the runways by storm during Fall/Winter 2018, appearing in nearly every high-end collection, from Celine, Alexander Wang to Balenciaga.
This trend may have been a little exaggerated on the Runways this year, but here is how to pull it off in real life.
An oversized coat is definitely a statement piece. If you’re looking to try the trend in a more subtle way, let your outerwear do the talking and keep everything else simple. I myself went total basic and simple, following the rule ” less is more” as you can see in my picture. Adding some stylish boots and finishing up the look with my sunglasses from Celine. If you love a big coat but aren’t a fan of the shapeless look, you can always add a belt for a little more definition. (Belts are also a great way to close those coats that don’t have buttons or a zipper.) But for those of you who don’t need any convincing, we say, the bigger the better!
Here are some more few guidelines on how to wear oversized coat
– When looking at ways to wear oversized clothes, it all comes down to proportions.
– Let your coat be the staple of your outfit.
– When you have an oversized jacket, you have room for bulkier sweaters. However, wear a sweater that fits. When you wear an oversized jacket with an oversized sweater, you risk looking like all of your clothes are too big. Wear properly fitted pants as well. When your pants are too big and you pair it with an oversized jacket, it also looks as though all of your clothes are too large for you.
– Start with a neutral solid color, like grey or camel, before moving into edgier prints.
– You can wear the same color from your top to your slim pants and leave the coat unbuttoned. It will separate the coat visually from the body, the color of the coat will stand out and so will a nice look.
– You can wear a dress with your oversized coat. The lengh of both pieces will look better when similar. If you have curves, defining your waist in the dress is a good idea to counter the effect of the oversized coat.
-If the sleeves of your oversized are extra long, or even if they aren’t and you simply want to show some arm to minimize the ‘drowning’ effect – fold em up.
– The oversized coat essentially needs some height and lengthening of the legs. Unless is you are pretty tall, heels can be the saving grace of your outfit with an oversized coat. Having said that, I am not excluding ballerinas. These flats shoes will also look fab with your oversized coat paired with a slim ankle denim. Remember to keep your footwear graceful and minimal. Chunky platforms or gungy boots could make you look like an ogre as opposed to a modern-day jackie O.
– Add a scarf. Adding the scarf is the balance that you would need in this overpowering look. Sometimes it will be answer to fixing something that you felt wasn’t right with your oversized coat look.
– Carry a clutch. There’s no way you’re slinging a crossbody bag over those sculpted shoulders, and straps may detract from the cool silhouette.
-When it comes to your body shape :
• If you are skinny, you would have to be the most careful about the width you choose. Don´t get lost into this big volume.
• Petite women are better off with a shorter over-sized coat.
• If you are a pear or hourglass, you might feel chubbier in this & hence consider belting & not going very long.
• If you are an apple, showing off your legs is the key as that it one your best features.
• Rectangle or boyish shape women can pull of androgyny or go opposite and belt.
• If you are a curvy woman, a flattering dress with defined waist underneath and not going overboard with the oversize.